Thursday, February 23, 2012

The one with the Valentines blackout

So it's been two weeks since Valentines and I haven't written about this, but I really wanted to:
On the evening of Valentines Day Huntington Beach had a large blackout that affected most of downtown Huntington and a few other areas. It was like driving through a ghost town! So eerie!

I wondered as I was driving up PCH what all the retail stores and restaurants were supposed to do when something like that happens? Do they just sit in the dark? I assume they have to kick everyone out to avoid theft, but do they send all their employees home? Or make them sit there in the dark in case the lights come back? I feel like being stuck somewhere during a blackout would be like getting locked into a library. Something everyone dreams about in their childhood as being terribly mysterious and cool.
I wanted to make note of some of the things that surprised me in what was a very fortunately placed (that is if you had a Valentines date) mild emergency:
-my first reflex when entering a dark room is to flip the switch (even when I know the power is off)
-wifi needs electricity to work... thank goodness for smart phones
-the water dispenser on the fridge also requires electricity. That one was an interesting realization.
-when walking back into a room I have already failed to turn the lights on in, I will still try and fail yet again, twice, three times. Old habits.
-emergency preparedness is something that is easy to think about in retrospect when you lack candles and your phone is dead.
-I am in no way prepared to deal with an earthquake (but secretly I would like to experience a gentle one just to know what it feels like)

The final most awesome realization? THE STARS!!!! without the ample light pollution they do exist in Orange County! It was like seeing old friends again.


No comments:

Post a Comment