Wednesday, August 15, 2012

FINALLY!!!!

So,  after considerable effort and multiple months of work my dresser is now officially refinished!!!  

I'd like to thank the academy.  My room mates Lauren and Lisa Ann for being patient with me through all of the dust in our apartment and junk left around to dry.  My loving sister Kate for the use of her sander which surely shaved a year off of the time it would have taken me.  And finally, pinterest, for inspiring me to want to be cooler in my spare time.

BEFORE
Here's what I spent, roughly. 

Original dresser: $50
Sander: borrowed from a lovable and patient sister
 Sand paper: $10
Watco Danish Oil in dark walnut: $22
New hardware:$30
Time: ...let's not talk about that one shall we?

AFTER


Which brings us to a grand total of around  $110 and a few realizations: 1) Furniture should be refinished outside or in a garage 2) nail polish remover will get oil finishes out of carpet (mostly) and 3) sometimes it's worth it just to buy what you wanted in the first place!

   
Here's a closeup of the hardware, just for fun.




2 comments:

  1. Love it! And ya sometimes it isn't cost effective, but it is the joy and sense of accomplishment that makes it worth it!
    How did I not know you had a blog? I'm excited to start blog stalking you!

    ReplyDelete